Apr 30, 2005

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

The brusque New York chef who was lampooned on “Seinfeld” as the “Soup Nazi” plans to open a chain of takeout soup stands across North America. But don’t expect the authentically rude New York treatment.

Signs will be posted in each of “The Original Soup Man” franchises bearing chef Al Yeganeh’s strict rules for ordering, such as “Have your money ready!” and “Move to the extreme left after ordering!” But a company spokesman said workers will be prohibited from shouting, “No soup for you!” at customers who disobey.


I guess it’s the really intense eyes, the dark brows and the withering glare...



I am admittedly a fan of the Soup Man. A few years back when I was working over on 8th Avenue I decided to do some exploring, remembered hearing about his storefront and decided to check it out for myself. I was immediately taken with the delicious flavors of the man’s soup. Yeah, it was a little pricey but, the small touches with complimentary pieces of fruit, bread and a small chocolate which offset any hesitation I might have had especially, when compared with the alternatives (close to the same amount spent on lunch but on a much less savory meal).

When I spread the news among my co-workers, one person wanted to make the trip just out of the desire to see if a rise could be gotten out of the man. Another time I went with a friend who found herself somewhat slighted by the man’s brusque manner. Overall though, I never had a problem. Through the years, I found Al to be nothing if business like and courteous (surprising to some no doubt). Of course, I could see the sense in trying to keep a line moving when your business is operating out of a storefront, your customers standing on line in all sorts of weather and knowing any delay could wind up costing you business.

CUSTOMER

FOR THE MOST EFFICIENT AND FASTEST SERVICE THE LINE MUST BE KEPT MOVING.

Pick the Soup You Want!

Have Your Money Ready!

Move to the Extreme Left After Ordering!


The International Soup Kitchen as Al’s business is called, literally is nothing more than a storefront with a counter on the street and you stand in line waiting to place your order. Since there are only a few choices, it’s hard to imagine why anyone would have a problem ordering since before you even get to the counter you’ve probably been standing in line long enough to make up your mind.

Well, over the months, I got used to Al’s soup and was disappointed when I arrived one day in April to find it closed! As it turned out, Al closed every year from around April through November (the warmer months) figuring soup not to be in as much of a demand when the weather is nice and toasty.

You see, I found that when there wasn’t a line. Al would be quite nice and gracious is you were at all polite and civil with him. Saddled with both the boon and bane of the infamous Seinfeld episode had bought him a somewhat perverse notoriety which he wasn’t altogether comfortable with (I don’t imagine anyone would want to be called a Nazi - for any reason).

Over time, he’s proven to be quite nice. At one point, late one March I asked quietly how many more weeks he would be open before his annual holiday and he looked at me somewhat conspiratorially and put his finger to his lips. Off to the side he told me he’d be open only for another week or so but he didn’t like the news to get out for fear of it hurting business.

Since we’re in April now, the Soup Kitchen is closed for the summer but, I’ll let you in on a little secret. All of Al’s soups are also sold frozen and it winds up being a much better deal as you get considerably more soup for around the same price. I can’t wait until he gets back and opens again as I have sorely missed his Mulligatawny, Chili and Bisques.

All in all I wish him the best of luck with his plans.


We offer everyday:.....................................Hot Soups

· One seafood (Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Seafood Combination, ...) bisque.

· One vegetarian (Black Bean, Lentil, Yankee Bean, Lima Bean, Black Eye Pea, ...)

· One spicy Mexican chili (Turkey, Beef, Chicken, Sausage, Mushroom, Beans, Vegetarian ...)

· One Clear Broth (Chicken Vegetable, Chicken Broccoli, .......)

And a few other soups such as:

· Barley (Mushroom, Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, Turkey, ...)

· Gumbo (Beef, Chicken, Shrimp, Seafood, Turkey)

· Goulash (Beef, Veal, ...)

· Cream less Vegetables (Asparagus, Mushroom, Potatoes & Corn, ...)


In seasons:................................................Chilled Soups

· Gazpacho, Cucumber, Vichyssoise, Fruit, Borscht, ...

· And many more exotic, authentic and inventive soups.


Just remember...



...and I have to say I have never once in all my treks to his establishment heard him utter those words, “No soup for you!”

No comments: